Anyone used Grotamar?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Anyone used Grotamar?

Post by Discus »

Anyone used this stuff? Apparently, this stuff is good for killing bug but produces copious amounts of solids that really bugger up your filters. Jeff, thinking of your fuel woes last year, did you use Grotamar? The view from the guy I spoke to was avoid the stuff unless your hobby is fuel polishing! :o :|
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yep, that's the one I used in large amounts :D

Yachting Monthly or whatever it was pipped it as the best of the treatments - claiming it made solids small enough to pass through filters. Not in my experience!

Fuel Doctor apparently is quite good at that (according to chap on Dartmouth fuel barge) and I'd put some of that in - but unsure how a combination of F.D. and Grotamar 82 will affect things, so I've not done it.

Good to know this might have been the problem. Our duplex filter system should see us right for a while - then maybe we'll switch to fuel doctor when we next do a big fill up.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hmmmm there is a pattern emerging here! I will stick with the Starbrite Startron which has been pretty successful in the last few years. Have you splashed yet? We will be about another 4 weeks sorting out the new boat but looking forward to it!

Rob 8)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

We launch on Monday. Lots of new seacocks and skin fittings and fuel connections all potential problems. I'm quite concerned and very much have my serious face on. Having a beer...

Good luck for your work on your new boat. You haven't had it long have you - must've been in good nick to be ready for floating so soon?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Serious face? I thought that was your 'normal' face! We have had 3 new seacocks fitted to the new boat so will also look for leaks on launch. New boat is in fairly good shape - just cosmetic works and a few upgrades to do before some more major stuff next winter. Only owned it for a week and a half so still finding stuff in lockers and looking to see how stuff works etc. looking forward to getting afloat and enjoying the versatility of the cutter rig. Now trying to decide what to do with the self steering. Boat has an Aries windvane but we have a Hydrovane in the spare room and have always thought we would fit that. Might have to try Aries for a year and see how we get on.

Good luck for Monday. Game face on!!!

Rob :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I really like the 'finding stuff in lockers' phase!

Good luck for your launch!