A Worthy Invention?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Do you think this could be a worthwhile device?

Absolutely
No votes
Possibly - but only to a limited few
100%
Dubious
No votes
Back to the drawing board fool!
No votes

Total votes: 1

stu22uk
YF Newbie

A Worthy Invention?

Post by stu22uk »

Hi folks,

I’m new here and wanted to ask you guys about your experiences and opinions about a problem all too familiar to me and friends with sailboats.
Basically it all revolves around winter storage (on the hard) and the ingress of rainwater turning the hull into a bathtub! This happened to a few friends of mine and others around the boatyard causing costly damage despite their efforts to negate the problem.
(Our boatyard and others around prohibits the use of covers unless they are professionally made to suit the vessel and in good condition, ensuring a proper fit... Very expensive)

As a result and after wrestling and obsessing about a REAL solution for many months I reckon I have came up with something that really benefits boat owners and eradicates nuisance water from the bilge over the winter months AND allows costly batteries to be removed from the boat altogether while on the hard, allowing them to be stored properly keeping them in tiptop shape for the impending season(s)

Generally it has – and still goes as follows:

The boat is lifted out the water and plonked down in the yard somewhere.

You winterize and prep the engine etc etc

The bilge pump and float switch are checked, the battery(s) are left in whatever state of charge they were in and will hopefully cope with any accumulation of water.

You walk away telling yourself it will all be fine, then find you are suitably distracted over the winter season but know that you should have been down to the yard to check – but again are suitably re-focused on other “important” things. Until eventually the sun starts to shine again and its time to get prepping for going back in

You arrive back to find a substantial level of rainwater in your beloved boat. Perhaps covering the engine or gearbox, perhaps even in the cabin – mechanical damage, fixtures and fittings, wooden furniture, upholstery, mould and mildew... on and on it goes – but how?

Older boats leak or are more likely to leak; Deck hardware, stanchions, glands(cable), standing rigging deck fittings, mast/mast foot... there are many places where small, almost negligible leaks can become appreciable over long periods of precipitation.

Ok, but I have a good pump and battery so why didn’t they save me?

Well – what condition was your battery in when you left it? Did you know a fully charged battery wont freeze until temps as low as -68.8 Celsius but one with 40% charge freezes at -8.8 Celsius ( http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...intenance.aspx ).Not an uncommon winter temperature here in the west of Scotland! A completely dead battery has only water inside it and will freeze at 0 Celsius, the expansion of the ice will probably rupture the casing.

Bilge pumps – it’s a ruse! I work with pumps, large ones of all varieties on an industrial scale so I know about a few things that get skirted over when you buy one. 1000gph, 1500gph is the claim, well I’m afraid not my friends; give these pumps a height (or head) to pump and install some bendy ribbed discharge tubing ideal for snaking through to the abysmally located skin fit and watch your flow rate drop off a cliff!!! Leading to longer running periods. They also draw slightly more energy in cold conditions and draw in settled debris choking and restricting the inlet compounding the problem further – unless of course your bilge is beautifully clean!

Float switches – who’s never heard of a stuck float switch? It’s a well known problem that left unattended will completely drain and may destroy your battery.
Not to mention wiring problems caused by poor installation, blown fuses etc.

Here is a very real scenario – It’s the middle of winter, she’s an old girl now with a few leaks here and there but nothing major and that’s to be expected, the battery and pump have coped thus far with any water getting in but, the battery is a few seasons old now and although from a reputable manufacturer and of a suitable capacity in good condition some neglect has been allowed. Suddenly a sustained period of heavy rain ensues and the pump is called upon once more, the pump – a beefy fellow, very capable if the “juice” can be found to sustain it but, the battery is weaning... not quite managing to provide what the pump needs to defeat the head and friction of the pipe work ,the bilge water never quite manages to reach the pipe outlet – the float switch stays activated because the water level never retreats, the pump runs indefinitely until the battery is completely drained... but - maybe saveable? The weather then improves, blue skies – sunny, crisp with frost and minus temperatures. The now water in your expensive battery freezes... Game over!

Ever the cynic I hear you cry... but I’ve seen it repeated over and over.

Not everyone lives 5 minutes from the boat yard,
Not everyone has the time to carry out “due diligence” in the off-season,
Not everyone can afford to pay the boatyard to maintain their vessel over winter,
Not everyone has OCD and must check once a week or they will implode!

Still with me? Good. (I know I rant on a bit!)

I have designed and built and am currently testing a working prototype of a device that could remove the risk of all of these problems and is inexpensive, not powered by batteries or electricity of any form, a device easily capable of keeping the boat dry, is simple and requires no maintenance of any kind, a cinch to install and remove, compact and powered by the very source of the problem – rain!
Is that something that may have some appeal?

Feel free to ask questions I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I look forward to any replies.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Is it a tarpaulin? :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LOL @ Discus

Rain powered rain removal device - sounds a bit like a perpetual motion machine.

Spill the beans!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
stu22uk
YF Newbie

Post by stu22uk »

Haha Jeff.... I can see why you may think that.

Of course no one has successfully made such a device and certainly don't proclaim to have either!

This is simply the clever use of the energy that's available from the environment.... I know it sounds like devil but i assure you its pure physics! :evil:

The clue is that it can only work on the hard stand.... Never afloat!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Suction from a head of water?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

:o I wouldn't give up the day job. Which boatyard are you in that forbids the use of tarpaulins ? The simple and cheaper option would be to move to another yard . In 50years of boating I have never heard of a
Yard taking such action.
Last edited by Terry T on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
stu22uk
YF Newbie

Post by stu22uk »

Yes Jeff... That's pretty much it... :D
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

i would be very alarmed if i had the amount of water ingress as your getting, as my boat is on the hard for winter and cant face into the wind like on my mooring i get some water but over a whole winter ( boat comes out Nov- Apr) my bilges are never more than 1/2" deep. i delibrately turn off my automatic bilge pump so i can see exactly how much i collect, but am fortunate to be able to get down most weekends to check.

i have seen many devices on the market that claims to syphon water with a non return valve so that as soon as water gets to a pre set level it starts to syphon.
i have never tried them so dont know how effective they are.
stu22uk
YF Newbie

Post by stu22uk »

evenkeel wrote:i would be very alarmed if i had the amount of water ingress as your getting, as my boat is on the hard for winter and cant face into the wind like on my mooring i get some water but over a whole winter ( boat comes out Nov- Apr) my bilges are never more than 1/2" deep. i delibrately turn off my automatic bilge pump so i can see exactly how much i collect, but am fortunate to be able to get down most weekends to check.

i have seen many devices on the market that claims to syphon water with a non return valve so that as soon as water gets to a pre set level it starts to syphon.
i have never tried them so dont know how effective they are.
Thanks evenkeel,

I actually designed it for someone who has an open boat but thought it may have some appeal as a supplement to a cover on any vessel.

Im interested in these devices you mentioned. Do you have a link?
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Hi Stu22uk
why is it when your not looking for something you see it all the time and when you do want to find it you cant?, all i can find are the wave/wind pumps but i can try to describe the things ive seen. Basically the pipe that goes into the bilge had a flap on the end so once the water level got to a predetermined height the flap would shut stopping the syphoning and allow the water to stay in the pipe until the water level rose to a level where the flap would open, again starting the syphoning action.
Hope that helps and i will still look for the link ( it was on a couple of those self-sufficient eco warrier websites)