Anyone alive after Christmas?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Anyone alive after Christmas?

Post by Discus »

I trust you all had a good Christmas and are looking forward to starting work on your boats. Any suggestions for motivation? Just seems...............well, a bit cold and wet to do work at the moment. Anyone else bravely battling on against the elements? Am I behind already? Is everyone else still hibernating like me? :D

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Rob :)

Was just starting to recover, then 4" of snow dumped on us here in our caravan on the North Yorkshire moors, then the temperature dropped below -12C and our pipes froze. We can't flush the loo and the kitchen sink outlet is frozen too now. Tomorrow the forecast is for up to 10" of snow. Rose went to Sainsburys and stocked up in anticipation. I think we will be boiling snow before long!

I have however made a start on the annual boat jobs already. A lot still to do, but I think I can see a vague light at the end of the tunnel.

Have you got more to do than the usual coat of anti-foul and engine service?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Well, woke up today and we are snowed in too - yippee! Mind you, doesn't help the working on the boat situation as we were hoping to go to plymouth this weekend. I now have added impetus to get going on the boat, just hoping that your frozen toilet will slow you up a bit and allow the less dynamic of us to catch up :) !!! Must admit -12 doesn't sound much fun in a caravan with frozen pipes although I'm not sure it's much warmer in our lounge at the moment as we have the worlds worst central heating :(
Plenty to do boat wise before spring as there is still the real possibility that we will be selling the boat and getting something different (watch this space). I suppose this means all the little things that you put up with will need to be fixed so no punters come along and bid you in the nuts for your pride and joy. As ever, the situation does remain fluid so we may still end up keeping the boat for another season. You can probably gauge that I am one of the more decisive people on this planet........not!

Keep your snow shoes on!

Rob :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oooh interesting! Let me guess... motorhome?

I too hope our frozen toilet "slows me up a bit" - would make like a bit easier :D
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

admin wrote:Oooh interesting! Let me guess... motorhome?

I too hope our frozen toilet "slows me up a bit" - would make like a bit easier :D
Nope, still a boat, different being long keel, cutter rig this time. Sounds like you're having to take long walks with a toilet roll :oops: Hope you can thaw it out soon :?
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Yep I'm here !! Still living onboard all nice and warm and no snow . Went to sea for 10days came back to marina on Sunday Nice to be back on shore supply again tho. We intended to stay in Mayflower marina on Saturday night but it was so lumpy our 15year old grandson felt seasick on the pontoon !!!
:o
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Happy New Year Terry. Anywhere nice on your 10 days at sea?
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Happy New Year Terry. Anywhere nice on your 10 days at sea?
Nah just local yealm fowey and a nite on the Saltash pontoon ,which was free of youths and has to be said quite enjoyable .

terry
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Terry T wrote:
Nah just local yealm fowey and a nite on the Saltash pontoon ,which was free of youths and has to be said quite enjoyable .

terry
Bet it was nice and quiet mind. Glad you had a bit of weather that wasn't shocking! :o
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:
Terry T wrote:

terry
Bet it was nice and quiet mind. Glad you had a bit of weather that wasn't shocking! :o
Nice an quiet !! :D

All fired up now for the spring :wink:

I'm not coming out for a scrub and antifoul this year as last year when we came our there was only a slight film of slime . We will have to see if we will be ok .

Terry
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Awesome Terry!! 8)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Terry, you could always dry out and scrub off alongside Torpoint Yacht Harbour if things get bad. Our hull was fine when lifted but the prop had some growth, even though it was well coated with prop shield at the start of the season. I think winter sailing is probably a better idea than the summer these days. Weather seems to be a bit better :?