Swallowing the anchor for Xmas

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Terry T
YF Newbie

Swallowing the anchor for Xmas

Post by Terry T »

That's it we have gone shore side for winter maintenance . We hoping to sail away for Xmas but there isn't a weather window . So it's Xmas back at the ranch for the first time in 6 years !! part of me is looking forward to it.

happy new year to our all too few posters ! :roll:
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Merry Christmas Terry. Weather does look a bit challenging for the next week. Hope shoreside is a relaxing break. Have a good New Year too.

Rob :D
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Merry Christmas Terry. Weather does look a bit challenging for the next week. Hope shoreside is a relaxing break. Have a good New Year too.

Rob :D
hi Rob

still hopeful to get away aft.er Xmas .Even if just up the yealm for a few quiet days 8) .
do you have any plans for next year ? We hope to cruise Southern Ireland but watch this space as I expect the bugger factor will find me

:roll:

Terry
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry

Funny you should mention Ireland as Santa has left the other half a pilot guide for Southern Ireland under the tree - I think we must be on the same wavelength! If it doesn't happen next year then it will the year after as we are decamping to Scotland for a year so will do Ireland at the same time. Usual caveat re the weather mind you! :o

Won't be relaunching now until April, and it might even be in a different boat :o :o :o :o :? . Watch this space!

Have a great Christmas and New Year

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

hi Rob

When you say decamp do you mean just with the boat or moving house etc and moving boat by road ? would love to cruise Scotland but the weather is bad enough here :o . do you have a new boat in mind ??

Terry
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Decamping!

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry
If all goes to plan then 2014 will be somewhat of a watershed year. Been saving for a good few years and we are hoping to take a few years off and sail a lot more. The first proper sailing I did was in the Clyde in 2005 when my dad retired and bought a Moody31 (bizarrely from Plymouth, but it was trucked up to Inverkip). Absolutely love sailing in Scotland and in the Clyde, you can sail more, even in bad weather as generally there is somewhere to shelter and there a lot more places to stop than Devon and Cornwall. When sailing up there, we sail from the island of Bute on the aforementioned Moody and at the last count there were some 27 places to stop for the night within a days sail. This doesn't include places to anchor. You could explore for weeks and never stay in the same place twice. As for our plans, we will sail up to Scotland in 2014, via Ireland and sail up there for the summer. We will overwinter on Bute and in 2015, look to sail down to Spain, again via Ireland. Not your classic route, but a bit of everything hopefully!!!. Just contemplating if it would be worth changing the boat, but not totally sure as we are pretty happy with the one we have so it may not be worth it. No real contenders at the moment but we did try to buy an Endurance a few months back but couldn't reach a consensus on the price. Just hope no flying spanner lands in the works between now and 2014. If the weather is like this summer....................... :twisted:

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

hi Rob
Scotland is good without doubt . have fond memories of the Clyde during my lengthy career in the submarine world .

That sounds a lovely cruise down to Spain . Live the dream ! Very envious !

Do you live in or around Plymouth ?

terry
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry

Well, hoping to live the dream but still a few variables to sort out. Unfortunately I don't live in Plymouth, but up in the Forest of Dean so its a 3 hour drive each way for us, which is a real pain. It must have been an interesting job up at Faslane. I remember as a child, staying on my auntie's farm on Bute, watching the subs doing dive practice between Bute and Arran. Even helped to recover a practice torpedo off the beach once, much to the RN embarrassment.
Hope you have your brolly for the next few days!

Rob
livefats
YF Newbie

Post by livefats »

Hi Terry,

Hope your plans come off - we're moving our new Bav up to Largs as I write. Great sailing memories - we were last there for a couple of seasons in the early 90s.

Rob: lots of submarine stories too! My favourite was when I had an inexperienced friend helming my tiny Seamaster sailor whilst I was ensconced below, as it were: Ric shouted to ask what to do if a submarine was approaching; calmly I told him not to cross her bows. Panic-stricken response: "I think I just have done!"