Trident Voyager 35 ft

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

onshaw
YF Newbie

Trident Voyager 35 ft

Post by onshaw »

I am considering buying a 35 ft Trident Voyager to cruise UK / French waters and the Med. However, most of my experience has been on a Bavaria 36 with a fin keel and so I am interested to know how tricky it will be sailing a long keel (with bow thruster) yacht. If any member of the forum has experience of the Trident Voyager 35 I would be very grateful to read your comments (likes and dislikes) on the ease of sailing this boat and its general comfort.
Looking to buy a cruiser (approx 36 ft) to travel through France around the Med and then perhaps more of EU.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sounds like a worthwhile adventure! I can't answer you directly but can say that going from a fin keel to a long keel isn't all that much of a big transition. And we don't have a bow thruster. The boat definitely moves differently in close maneuvres, but with a little playing around you'll probably get used to it pretty quick. And if you mess up you've got the option to fire up the thruster anyway.

We've not sailed ours yet but theoretically one should experience less leeway, more sea kindliness and greater stability of direction holding once on the right course.

Another benefit is the ease with which you can go alongside a wall. Not something we've done yet in this current boat either, but did so in our previous fin keeler and wished we hadn't! Here's an account and some pictures:

viewtopic.php?t=265

I've looked at details of a few Trident Voyagers in the past on boat hunts - they look like good solid safe boats. Probably much stiffer and with a thicker GRP layup than on your Bavaria, especially if it's a newer model.