Metal Skin Fittings and Anodes on GRP hulls?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Metal Skin Fittings and Anodes on GRP hulls?

Post by bobholiday »

My skin fittings aren't bonded to my anode. Is this likely to cause a problem?

They've been in place like this for the best part of 30 years and there's no obvious signs of corrosion - but I guess I could have some de-zincification going on.

Should I connect a wire from them to my anode? Or could that cause a problem where one currently doesn't exist?

Thanks!
richard
YF Newbie

Post by richard »

i am no expert here but i must say something as we seem to be the only two here bob lol ! i reckon so long as your sacrificial anode is ok , your skin fittings will be ok as the anode corrodes in preference to the fitting.
regards Richard
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hehe, tis pretty quiet here! Cheers for the advice :)
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

Most boats of 30yrs old had 'proper' bronze/gunmetal hull fittings and were usually never all bonded together with any anode. Depends on the boat builder and current thinking. In the US the recommendation is that all hull fittings should be bonded. Here we tend to not do this particularly on older boats. As long as the hull fittings are of good quality bronze then they shouldn't need bonding to a anode. Check your fittings by scraping them, if they are a 'pink' colour then they are dezinctifying and should be replaced ASAP. Note that a lot of chandleries sell TONVAL hull fittings which WILL dezinctify as they are only a BRASS. Proper bronze gunmetal fittings are about three times the price of TONVAL. See ASAP Supplies who can supply bronze fittings - don't rely on asking your chandlery - they often don't have a clue!