Entering Dover W Docks

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

singlesailor
YF Newbie

Entering Dover W Docks

Post by singlesailor »

Having recently purchased a Classic Seadog Mizzen Rigged Ketch EMRA ,which has been moored at Northney Marina, Hayling Island, it was necessary at the begining of April to sail EMRA around the southern coast to her new mooring in Faversham Creek, N Kent coast. We had a succesful motor/sail, until the weather turned rough on our approach to Dover Marina, it actually ended up a Force 6 just coming along the stretch of coast between Folkstone and Dover, and apparently the entrance into Dover Marina is a bit rough at the best of times, but in these conditions really awful. Our main was still up, so about 5 minutes before the entrance I sheeted in hard, then as the skipper made a turn to port, let fly the main halyard, as we finally entered the calmer waters of the harbour.
Has anybody out there experience of entering W Docks under these difficult conditions, and any advise as to the best approach to enter.
EMRA is now safely in her home berth of Faversham Creek.
Sailingoutofoarecreek
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad we're not the only ones. We came in and discovered that the sea was crazy just outside, and the cross-set was close to 4 knots. We'd had a lovely sail from Eastbourne in fair conditions and were not expecting it. We entered the harbour motoring hard, almost at 90 degrees to the entrance.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
singlesailor
YF Newbie

Entering Dover W Docks

Post by singlesailor »

When we sailed EMRA out on her journey up the coast to Faversham Creek,, we contacted the Port Authorities on their call sign, and awaited permission to exit through the E Docks, which of course is where the cross channel ferries enter....it is certainly easier than the W Docks, and once clear of the entrance and ferries, you can swing up into the wind in the lee of the Cliffs, set the sails and get going safely...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, that's exactly what we did too. Scary being so close to the massive cross-channel boats, especially when told to hold position in the same location as one of them, while another one came in the East entrance! (Think there's a picture of part of this in my blog, I'll dig out a link and post it).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's my account of our West entrance arrival:

viewtopic.php?p=781#781

And here's my account of our departure:

viewtopic.php?t=279 (pre-departure)

viewtopic.php?t=281 (actual departure with pictures)