Charer Research

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Mark
YF Newbie

Charer Research

Post by Mark »

I am currently working on board a 48 foot Power Catamaran, managing a refit to qualify the boat for MCA coding. Working closely with the surveyor, were not too far away from reaching this spec now. I know I need to get the boat Commercially endorsed by means of obtaining a commercial certificate of registration, once she has satisfied the coding criteria. The boat has her own crew (Yachtmaster Offshore Power, and STCW 95 certs.)
Here's the complicated bit.
The owner would like to keep the boat in Barcelona (she's UK registered).

Once all the coding and registering paperwork has been satisfied, can anyone advise of the next steps pleae?

I’ve heard all sorts. Setting up a company to "own" the boat.
MCA coding not valid in Spain.
I'm pretty sure that’s not true unless anyone knows otherwise.

Can the boat be leased to an existing charter company or should the boat be a commercial entity in her own right (ie be owned by a VAT registered company and chartered out just using charter companies as a means of promoting her).

Are there any companies that can help with this process?

I am aware of the disadvantages of chartering, ie, the paperwork, arrangements, wear and tear etc, so please, no horror stories.
Also, may I kindly ask you only post a reply if you know the statement is correct, and not guessing?
Thanks for you time.