Water Purification

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

tom4935
YF Newbie

Water Purification

Post by tom4935 »

Hi I am a final Year Graduate at Swansea metropolitan university. I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me with some of my research as I am designing an osmotic pump which will Desalination of water so this takes the salt out of the water so you can drink it. It may be designed so it fits into the emergency section in a life raft or even on the boat
My first question is do you feel that there is a need for this?

If so do you have something like this already?

Where would you like it placed?

If you could provide any more information it would be much appreciated or send me in a direction to look at certain problem area it would be much appreciated

Many Thanks
Thomas Packer
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

"Water Makers" is what they're known as in the yacht world - and they're renowned for being very expensive, and going wrong all the time. One purpose built world cruising yacht I looked around had two different ones installed.

If you read Ben Fogel and James Cracknell's book about rowing across the atlantic you'll hear water makers mentioned rather a lot - and how prone to failure they can be.

I guess the most important questions before anyone could answer you as to where they would like it installed are:

How big is it?
How much power does it use?
How much drinkable water does it produce per hour?
What powers it?

If it's a hand pumped device that produces less than say a litre per hour after a lot of hard work I'd say it's not going to benefit anyone. You'd use more water than you'd get out of it.

I am not sure but I believe some liferafts have pumps in them. I know a lot of them have solar stills in them though - effortless water production but difficult to avoid salt contamination I understand.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on. Some pictures would be lovely!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.