Origo 3000 Spirit Stove - How easy are they to fit?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Origo 3000 Spirit Stove - How easy are they to fit?

Post by bobholiday »

How easy is it to fit an Origo 3000? I've removed an original gas 2 ring + grill from a Westerly Centaur... will I be able to use the gimbals from that on the Origo? Or do I need to purchase the Origo ones (which seem a bit expensive IMO at £50)...

Oh, and is it worth also buying the pan holders? I'm mostly going to be using it whilst on a swinging mooring.

Thanks!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Don't know much about the fittings, but I would definately fit pan holders. Even on a swinging mooring it can get a bit choppy so if you happen to have the kettle on and a wave hits you it could well go flying. Boiling water all over the place can make you a bit hot under the collar :o
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

You're very right. I did get pan holders and have needed them a lot!

I installed my stove using the Origo gimbals at £50 approx. They really let the stove down. Not very well made really. They do work though so I shouldn't complain too much - but for the price hmmm. I AM from Yorkshire :)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

A man after me own heart :lol: parents used to think I was tight fisted as a kid :o I'm even worse now :D

My little twin burner doesn't have gimbals either so I'm working on a way of doing that myself with a couple of enclosed bearings. Can't be hard to do I wouldn't have thought. As for pan restraints, they're just bent pieces of stainless rod, so guess what I'm trying to do :lol:
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Yep, you sound like me :D

Only problem is, I'm lazy too so have to fight the urge to bodge!

Gimbals - the gas twin hob I removed (to comply with insurer's demands) was gimbaled simply by having two metal rods protruding from it, sat in U shaped slots. Can't imagine you'd need to go to the trouble of using bearings.

Don't forget that you need the stove much lower than the point of rotation, otherwise once you stick a pan on and the centre of gravity is raised, it'll roll more than the boat and could lead to obvious issues.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Glad you mentioned that, must admit I had forgotten about the weight of the pan. May well have to add extra weight or restrict the movement of the hob a bit.
Bit on the lazy side here too :lol: though I tend to like fiddling with stuff to make it do what I want :o :D
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Just ensure the pivot point is well above the surface of the stove - no need for more weight or restricted movement.

Like this I mean...

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Good thinking, I like it. And it just so happens I have the materials to do it :o
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

It can be useful to fit a gimbal-stopper to a stove just to tame it when conditions are quiet. Mine has a simple barrel bolt that can slide into a hole in the surrounding fibreglass. It's especially useful when you open the oven door, which otherwise upses the balance considerably. I still don't have areliable way to extract the roast in rough weather so I still rely on pot noodles for sustenance when it's lumpy.
Derek
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

I can't believe you'd even consider a roast! Best I've managed on the go so far has been the odd cup of coffee! Pot noodles a good idea in principle, but they're so bloomin awful I'd rather wait till I get to port. I'm only making half day voyages at the moment though.

Oh, one thing I found which is easy to cook, makes very little mess, stows well, doesn't spoil, tastes good, and is good for you is...

Popcorn!

Teeny bit of oil, medium heat, 10 mins, sprinkle of salt. Gorgeous healthy snack!

I guess a can of soup would be pretty decent on a voyage. Stick it in a mug with a spout and it'll keep its heat and be easy to consume at the helm, even in bad conditions.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

cpedw wrote:It can be useful to fit a gimbal-stopper to a stove just to tame it when conditions are quiet. Mine has a simple barrel bolt that can slide into a hole in the surrounding fibreglass. It's especially useful when you open the oven door, which otherwise upses the balance considerably. I still don't have areliable way to extract the roast in rough weather so I still rely on pot noodles for sustenance when it's lumpy.
Derek
I prefer the home made pot noodle myself. Just get some Batchelors noodles and stick them in a pot with water, add peas and sweet corn, chuck in an Oxo cube and there you have it. Three minutes cooking, strain and bung on a plate, add a bit of cold chicken and you have a very nutritious meal that tastes good too
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

bobholiday wrote:I can't believe you'd even consider a roast! Best I've managed on the go so far has been the odd cup of coffee! Pot noodles a good idea in principle, but they're so bloomin awful I'd rather wait till I get to port. I'm only making half day voyages at the moment though.

Oh, one thing I found which is easy to cook, makes very little mess, stows well, doesn't spoil, tastes good, and is good for you is...

Popcorn!

Teeny bit of oil, medium heat, 10 mins, sprinkle of salt. Gorgeous healthy snack!

I guess a can of soup would be pretty decent on a voyage. Stick it in a mug with a spout and it'll keep its heat and be easy to consume at the helm, even in bad conditions.
Haven't tried doing popcorn for years, mainly because I could never get the toffee mix to work and I have a sweet tooth
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Try it without, and with a bit of decent quality salt (rock salt is gorgeous). Less mess, better for you, and you get to keep all your teeth :)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Couldn't agree more about the salt, some things are worth paying more for, but I'm not so sure about sticking it on me popcorn :lol:
I'll have to see if I can find a toffee recipe that works and give it a go.
Still got all me own teeth though :D
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Yes, but for how long ;)