dumb ass question

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

jason
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

dumb ass question

Post by jason »

I'm slightly embarressed to ask this but here goes.....i'm a complete novice (well, did level 2 keel boat last year), finding it hard to gain experience i put the cart before the horse a bit and have bought a 19ft caprice. trouble is, i cant figure out how to set up the main sheet.
excuse my terminology but it seems to me that there is one obvious hole on the boom for it to attach to, and obvious attachments on the boat itself. a friend who has SLIGHTLY more knowledge than me says that it must be correct but here are 3 reasons that i think point towards an error-

1. when the sheet is let out fully,as on a dead run, shouldn't the boom be at around 90 degrees to the keel? it's not. there isn't enough main sheet.
2. when it is let out fully, the line is fouled by the gaurd rail
3. again, when let out fully,the stop knot at the end of the rope in the pully system, goes right tight to the block. wouldn't be designed like that surely!

if it is clear to you what i am doing wrong then i would very much appreciate a reply. or, although i have googled many instructional videos ect., any other suggestion are welcome.
thanks for reading