Which Oilies!

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Which Oilies!

Post by bobholiday »

I'm pretty unimpressed with the longevity and price of gore-tex, and I usually try to buy what the professionals use... so I'm thinking outside the box here a little and wondering about getting hold of some of that yellow gear that professional fisherman wear... if you know the stuff I mean?

I'm guessing that if they wear it, then it must A) Do the job bloomin well, B) Last for a good while under a lot of duress and C) Not cost the earth. D) Not cause too much problem just because it's not breathable.

But what's it called and where do you get it? I can't find it?

Am I missing something?

Thanks! :D
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

The fishermen will use PVC weatherproofs, indestructible but not nice to wear for a long time in a sailing boat and they are not breathable. Once you've used breathables you won't go back to PVC! One PVC make is Guy Cotten, made in France I believe. Look on the Gael Force website. (gaelforcemarine.co.uk) What you would pay for a Guy Cotten suit(about £150) you will be able to get a decent breathable from someone like XM yachting or others.
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hi Dick, many thanks for all your replies to my posts in here - excellent advice!!

I have actually already bought a complete set of Guy Cotten waterproofs since posting that post above. I'm actually very pleased with them so far! Wore them all day the other day as it just didn't stop raining and I remained totally dry, despite being fairly active all day - and I do sweat a fair bit. I think the fact that they're not too snug fitting probably helps quite a lot.

Thanks again!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

I've used Musto but find they don't keep me warm enough, so thinking outside the box I got hold of some bib trousers and a jacket from a company that supplies work wear for people that work in a deep freeze. Not sure how much cheaper they are, but they keep me a hell of a lot warmer than the Musto did. Only problem was no hood but I tend to wear a hat anyway, so the only time that bothers me is when it rains. Single layer toastie warm.