Cheapest place to buy flares?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Cheapest place to buy flares?

Post by bobholiday »

I've found a pack of four (2 orange smoke, 2 red handheld) flares for £36.99 online... seems bloomin expensive for four fireworks to me! And I was hoping to get a couple of white light ones also... so they'll be extra no doubt.

Is that about the best price available? Or am I missing a source?
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

Unfortunately all flares are expensive, you can try on ebay but make sure they are indate and make enquiries about shipping them - they are classed as 'explosives' !!
I prefer Hansson Flemming flares as the operating system is much easier than the more commonly available Pains Wessex. With the PW ones you have to half turn the hand grip then bang the base on a hard surface, my wife couldn't do it and it's practically impossible if you are in a liferaft or inflateable!(IMO). The HF ones just have a drop down cord with a finger ring which you just pull hard - much easier! Chandleries sometimes sell off packs at the end of the season but which then only have two years to run. I replace one or two every year but keep the out of date ones on board as well. As long as they are kept dry they will work and are a good standby.