Replacing the toe rail

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Selene II
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Replacing the toe rail

Post by Selene II »

Our 1989 Newbridge virgo voyager sustained damage to the toe rail on the port side last season after coming into contact with the pontoon in adverse weather. I am looking to replace the two wooden sections of the toe rail which are located at each side of the cetral guard rail stanchion at the widest part of the beam. Looking for the fixings screws internally, I have discovered that the original fixings have been glasses over during construction as part of the hull/deck joint. I will be unable to access the heads of the fixing screws without removing a significant ammount of the costruction material along the joint. This would be a bigger job than I would like to take on while still on the water, not only because of the difficulty gaining access along the lenghth of the rail internally. I am considering my options, could I get away with leaving the old screws where they are and cutting them flush with the deck, I would then fit the new toe rail in the same position by drilling and screwing new fixing holes from the top side. My concern with this option is that I would be increasing the chance of leaks and possibly weakening the structure at a critical point.
I would like to know, has anybody experienced this problem in the past ? Thanks