Anti-foul over old anti-foul?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Anti-foul over old anti-foul?

Post by bobholiday »

I was told that there's somewhere online you can go to find out if your old anti-foul is compatibile with various alternative new coats.... I've got a old layer of Blakes Cruising Performer on at the moment and would like to find out if I can go over the top of that with Blakes Tiger Extra.

Anyone know where I can find out what's compatibile?

Ta,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Blakes inform me that their antifoul products are mostly cross compatible with each other, so you should have no problem applying Tiger Xtra over Cruising Performer. You should use sandpaper and a plentiful supply of water to rub down the existing AF a little so that the new coats should adhere well. Then apply 2 coats of Tiger Xtra.

A Westerly Centaur should be coverable with 2 coats by using one 750ml can and one 2.5l can.

Cheapest source for Tiger Xtra I can find is currently Marine Super Store who are at present selling 2.5l cans of Blakes Tiger Xtra for £54.95.
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

In spite of what manufacturers put on the tins, I have in the past applied several different antifouls one on top of another without any noticeable adverse effect. Several layers of the stuff do get unstable over time and start to flake off, but this doesn't seem to depend on the makes that were mixed, just on the number of layers.
http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Produc ... t_id=20667 This stuff from Gael Force is cheap and seems to work for me; it only needs one coat apart from waterline and leading edges so it doesn't take too long to apply.

Derek
(edit to correct very poor typing)