Small Outboard Servicing.

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Small Outboard Servicing.

Post by bobholiday »

I've got a Sukuki 2.2 2-Stroke... probably worth about £300 new I guess... so I'm thinking that self-servicing is probably more cost effective than paying someone to do it professionally. After all, if a service is circa £50 to £100 and the engine lasts 5 years - I might as well have just looked after it myself, and then bought a brand new one when/if it starts to become unreliable.

So what's the routine for servicing a 2-stroke outboard? What parts am I likely to need? And where's a good place to source them?

Thanks,
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

Little servicing is needed. Make sure the impellor is pumping water; if not then the water ways are probably choked up with salt and corrosion and will need cleaning out. As it's a 2 stroke, make sure you have a new plug handy and always use fresh fuel at the beginning of the season(modern petrols detiorate fairly quickly). Again you may have to clean the carb out occasionally as it can gum up.
A good tip is to always flush out the engine with fresh water when you return home after every trip(assuming you are using it in salt water). I keep a water butt at home specifically to do this.
You'll find when it does eventually give up the ghost, new small 2 strokes are no longer sold as they don't comply with EU emmission rules(unless they've had it in stock since Jan07?) so only 4 strokes are available new, which are heavier, more complicated and need laying down on a particular side to avoid loosing all the sump oil!