Replacement sails

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

shano
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Replacement sails

Post by shano »

Hi everyone! New to this forum and was hoping for some advice. I used to sail a fair bit back home in New Zealand and looking to get back into it. I'm looking at buying around a 25ft (maybe westerly or snapdragon...) Some of the descriptions say the sails are "tatty but serviceable". Was just wondering what it costs over here for a replacement main and/or jib, second hand or new?

Any advice appreciated.

Shane
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hi,

I took my Centaur's main and jib to a sailmaker (Chris Scanes in Topsham, Devon). The main was falling apart - the jib seemed OK (though old), but I took it in anyway as I was going. Expected to need a new main and nothing done on the jib - but was informed the jib was badly misshapen and the main would be fine with a bit of oversewing.

Total cost was something like £550 inc VAT to have him make me a jib from scratch to match the dimensions of the old one - and service the main.

He did the lot in about 3 days from the moment I went through the door! Highly recommended:

http://www.sailsandcanvas.co.uk/
shano
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by shano »

Thanks for that. Less than I thought...