Bilge Keel

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

blu
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Bilge Keel

Post by blu »

G'Day,
New to forum from OZ. Seeking info from owners/users of Bilge Keelers (twin keels). They appear to be more popular around UK, very few here. How do they rate for cruising, handle seas, ease of single handling and beaching etc. Any info or point in direction of previous forum site would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something 28-36 ft range.
Thanks Blu
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hi Blu. I used to have a Westerly Centaur which is a 26 foot bilge-keeler. It was my first boat and am now only on my second in my second season of sailing so my opinion is probably not worth a great deal, but the difference between the bilge and my current fin keeler doesn't seem to be all that great. I've really not noticed any massive windward improvement and the motion in the water seems to me to be very similar. I single-hand both vessels. Not a great deal of difference.

Only experience of "parking" on the ground was by accident when moored to a pontoon as the tide went out :)
dmdqlett
YF Newbie

Got an old compass

Post by dmdqlett »

Got an old compass from a mate and took it to pieces to clean, but made the fatal mistake of not making a note of how it came apart so now I can't remember how it goes together, anyone know ?
This is the one