Sail rattle / mast bend?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Red rosie
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Sail rattle / mast bend?

Post by Red rosie »

I have a relatively new 32ft sail boat which regularly develops a rattle in the luff of the mainsail half way up the mast - not always in the same place but roughly so.

I have tried tightening the halyard and playing with the vang and the outhaul but they do not resolve the problem which occurs mainly in a reach. tightening one or other of the halyard etc can move it around a bit and changes the pitch slightly.

is it possible that I need to change the bend in the mast to pull it forward ? - I am running out of options (and patience)

any thoughts welcome
Many thanks

Steve
Mike
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Mike »

You could certainly put some prebend into the spar which would help flatten the sail. Depending on the rig there are different ways of doing this. If its a fractional rig with aft swept spreaders you could give the rig a bit more capshroud tension which will produce more pre-bend.
If its a masthead rig with for/aft lowers give the forward lowers a bit more tension which will induce some pre bend.#

mike
Yachtmaster Commercial - Skipper Jolly Swagman - HC43 Cutter
www.sailjollyswagman.co.uk
Red rosie
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Red rosie »

Many thanks - I will try this.

I observed the sail closely last week - the luff is definitely flapping from half way up the mast to about 2/3rds up whereas it is tight elsewhere. I have tried using the single line reefing to get extra tension on the luff but even that seems unable to achieve tightness all the way up the mast.....weird

Steve
Many thanks

Steve
Mike
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Mike »

You didn't say if the boat was new or new to you? Its possible that the main has stretched & therefore fuller than it should be down the luff, however, putting some pre-bend into the mast should take the `round' out of the luff of the sail flattening it.
Red rosie
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Red rosie »

The boat was new to me (a beneteau 323 lift keel) 2 years ago. Funny you should mention the possible stretch of the main - I was out yesterday (rather breezy!!) and was wondering if in fact the main was literally unable to be pulled any tighter up the mast as the halyard shackle was right at the top.

however I used the single reefing to pull the luff down and it still rattled in the top 2/3.

I was however wondering whether it was worth getting a sail loft to reduce the sail length by 6 inches or so at the top - is that possible?

many thanks for the advice

steve
Many thanks

Steve
Mike
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Mike »

Steve,

There should be no problem in shortening the luff, it will involve removing the headboard & possibly adding new doubling to the head of the sail & bringing in the leech tabling slightly before the headboard is re riveted back into place.

While they are doing this I would suggest that you get them to check the sail for fullness, if it has stretched which I suspect has happened then they should be able to take a bit of the `round' out of the luff curve to flatten the sail which should bring the draft of the sail forward which may also help improve your pointing ability & stop the sail from `lifting' down the luff near the mast.

mike
Red rosie
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Red rosie »

Crumbs - this sounds complicated but a useful approach if all else fails.

I will start by trying your earlier thoughts - "If its a masthead rig with for/aft lowers give the forward lowers a bit more tension" when I have worked out what that means!

The base of the shrouds are set just behind the mast and I assume that if I tighten the ones that go direct to the mast at the point where the spreaders meet the mast (as opposed to the ones that go higher up via the spreaders) that will then tend to straighten the mast at the point where most of the bend is evident.

many thanks

Steve
Many thanks

Steve
Mike
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Mike »

Steve,

go to the following link: http://www.seldenmast.com/frameset.cfm? ... =946876835

Then go to the English hints & tips PDF, you will find all you need to know on setting up ALL types of rig, page 34 covers single spreader masthead rigs with fore/aft lower shrouds.

mike
Red rosie
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Red rosie »

Excellent - very many thanks Mike

I have aready asked a local sail loft to quote for the work you suggested as well - so that I am prepared!

all the best
Many thanks

Steve