Vapalux/Tilley Type Storm Lamps In Cabin

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Vapalux/Tilley Type Storm Lamps In Cabin

Post by bobholiday »

I've bought a Vapalux M320 for my yacht with the intention of using to provide a little heat and light in the cabin, and be on stand-by as an emergency anchor light.

Supposedly (according to the manufacturer) it will run for about 10 hours on a pint of paraffin! Seems like a perfect solution to a lot of problems!!

They really look the part too - here's a pic of mine:

:D

Anyone else use one of these type of things? In practice, how much ventilation is required? I've got a CO detector onboard though, so I think it'll be safe.
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Well, I spent the evening and night onboard with my lamp a few weeks ago. It was close to freezing outside, but I managed to find the right balance of ventilation/warmth from this single lamp to keep me warm enough to happily sit and read all evening. Spot of wine helped also :)

At one point the CO detector gave a single short beep, so I opened the companionway top slider another inch and never heard another peep out of the detector.

All in all very very happy with this lamp :D

Here's me with mine:

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Now that looks like just what I need. Got 12v lighting below, and a few battery led lights but nothing to add that little bit of heat. I'll look out for one of those.
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

They're on Ebay all the time. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit. Make the cabin feel like such a magic place to be. The light is so warming itself. Sounds like I'm a bit soppy but you'll understand if you get one.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Not sloppy at all :lol: I know exactly what you mean. But then, with my website I try to avoid e bay :D
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk