Repairing and reinforcing spreaders, thoughts and ideas plea

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Repairing and reinforcing spreaders, thoughts and ideas plea

Post by DaveA »

Well, the latest in a string of disasters struck yesterday when I tried to raise the mast on Sixpence (Debutante 21) and the port side spreader ended up hanging on by one remaining rivet. Repaired earlier this year and replaced the rivets (proper monel type used) but as the mast has been laying on deck for some time, I can only guess that the spreader caught on something which weakened the repair and when the mast went up the rigging must have caught on something without being seen, which pulled the rivets out, enlarging the holes in the mast which means any further use of rivets in the same hole is unlikely to hold.
Two possible methods of repair spring to mind, any opinions or other ideas appreciated.
One way would be to move the spreaders up or down the mast, and drill new holes, but this would leave the original holes so not sure about that
Another way would be to fit bolts right through the mast from one spreader to the other, providing the holes line up, but this would leave the bolt heads and nuts standing proud so not sure about that either.
Anyone got some practical ideas or thoughts ?
Pretty hacked off right now so anything that could help would be very much appreciated.
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

Would Interscrews be appropriate instead of through nuts and bolts? http://www.nuts4bolts.com/default.asp?m=dp&id=18367 You can get them in stainless and I guess a range of diameters and lengths. I've only seen them used round windowframes, but I think they should be sound enough if the size is right. Don't forget the duralac on the aluminium.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Thanks for that, sounds like another good possibility
You mention Duralac though, I've heard about it before, but not sure what it does ?
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

Duralac is a paste that's yellow and stains seriously. It's a corrosion preventer, protects aluminium/stainless joints. I think it's zinc chromate but I'm not sure. For amateur users, one tube lasts a lifetime but can generate a lot of negative feedback from the laundry department.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Ah, thank you, I'll watch the clothes when I use it