One small step for Sixpence

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

One small step for Sixpence

Post by DaveA »

One giant leap for me :o

After all she's been through, Sixpence finally moved to her tidal mooring

And after some pretty nifty helm control with fast flowing water to deal with

She joined her new friends and will soon get out sailing now

Just as soon as I figure out the tides :lol:
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
oldbilbo
YF Newbie

Post by oldbilbo »

Geez! It must be cold over there - Dave Ant's got his gloves on!

Bless...... :D
Wot! me worry...?

RNLI customer ;-)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Bloody was by the time I got there :lol:
Set off at 07-00 and forgot to put all kit on :o
Two hours at the helm later it was time to defrost :D
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hope you've got Sixpence tide up well, and well fendered! That looks VERY tidal! Is it usually calm water? Or will it get bouncy there? I'd be nervous with all that woodwork so close (I'm on a swing mooring).

Congrats on getting there though! I know the feeling after a successful maiden voyage to a new mooring only too well :)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Thanks Bob, much appreciated, the flow at that point is indeed very strong but made even stronger when the EA open the sluice to let out surplus rain water from the river system. Just got back from viewing her as they've decided to open that very sluice and I don't think she'll be staying there for long if I can possibly do anything about it. It's like riding the rapids, not very nice, but at least it should test the hulls integrity before we go out into open waters.
Got a video on my phone, if I can figure out how to extract it I'll post it here, not nice at all
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Just to update, can't post the video yet, but we decided to move Sixpence to Fosdyke Marina and stick the mast up, but when we arrived and inspected the damage caused we had to make a quick decision on her future. Pretty badly knocked about so we are now marina based, anyone coming to Fosdyke marina, give me a shout and I might even buy you a pint 8)
oldbilbo
YF Newbie

Post by oldbilbo »

How the **** do I get two for the price of one.......?
Last edited by oldbilbo on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wot! me worry...?

RNLI customer ;-)
oldbilbo
YF Newbie

Post by oldbilbo »

I'm sorry to hear of damage to your 'nearly-beloved'. :cry: What is it - and can I help?
Wot! me worry...?

RNLI customer ;-)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Your post count is building nicely BB :D

The damage has been to the areas of wood that were rubbing and crunching at the posts, one being the rubbing strip (funnily enough) which has worn back in a large section that now needs replacing, and other parts that now need working on as they're worse than when we first got her, but nothing I can't manage, thanks for the offer. The annoying thing is the ammount it's going to cost in materials, and it's work I could do without as I had already done it all before all this.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us :(
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Dave that's such a shame! Glad it's nothing you can't sort, and that it clearly won't happen again now. It'll be more expensive in the marina I'm sure, but SO handy in so many ways compared to an awkward mooring like that other one.

How much is the marina charging you?
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Hi Bob, couldn't agree more about how much better it is at a marina, with power and water right next to her, and lights on the pontoon, it's going to make things a lot easier. No idea about the price yet, got to speak to the owner today to find out, but I suppose I needed to give up smoking anyway and that should leave us with enough to pay for it and then some :lol: