Sail repairs and replacements.

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Sail repairs and replacements.

Post by bobholiday »

My mainsail ripped along a seem a few weeks ago. I started to fix it by hand using the existing holes, but after repairing about 3 feet of it, and realising I was only halfway through the job after 7 hours at it, and with cramp beginning in my hands - I realised that almost every seem needed oversewing because of thread rotten by UV :(

So I bit the bullet and took it to see Chris Skanes http://www.sailsandcanvas.co.uk/

While I was there I thought I'd show him my Genoa which seemed fine, but had some UV damaged rips in the top layer of cloth at the clew.

Turns out that my mainsail is totally repairable for about £50, but my Genoa needs replacing!! More than it was worth to repair it.

Really impressed with the price I was quoted to replace the G and fix the M! Way cheaper than I thought. About the same price as a "Hong Kong Sails" ballpark figure for the same, but custom built for my boat by a local supplier... and he reckons it'll be ready in under 10 days!

I'll post back when I have the results and let you know how things turn out, but so far I'm really impressed with Mr Scanes.

Here's some photos of my main and my damaged genoa clew (and a sunrise photo I like)....

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Lovely sunset, pity about the knackered sails but that's an extremely good price. Mate of mine got hold of a sewing machine capable of repairing sails but no way could I justify the expense, I would go down the same lines you have. Good result Bob, good luck with the new sail
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Unbelievably, I've just been called to be told that both of my sails are ready! Collecting on monday.

Can't believe how quick that was!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

That's brilliant, can't argue with service like that
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Fantastic service from Chris Scanes. Sail is beautiful, fits perfectly. Not had chance to try it out yet though - wind was nasty and gusty last couple of days and I didn't want to get it out in that.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Looking a lot better for this weekend Bob, fingers crossed but by the sound of it, you've got a good result