Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

PAPILLONOFCARDEN
YF Newbie

Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor

Post by PAPILLONOFCARDEN »

I have just published an electronic autobiography titled “Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor” offers an interesting insight into sailing the rough seas off the West Coast of Scotland, one of the last wildernesses in Europe. Thirty three years and over 28,000 miles in the same boat is one hell of a journey, presents a unique perspective of interest to both sailor and landlubber alike.
Starting in 1979, my story is taken directly from the five log-books of Papillon of Carden, and will be of interest to any sailor planning to explore the West Coast of Scotland by giving a record of the remote anchorages visited, distances covered, and further adventures experienced, well illustrated with over one hundred original colour images. The diary ends in 2012 with my “year of sailing dangerously”, and these close calls may just have been the catharsis leading to my autobiography.
Hopefully I may give future voyagers the inspiration to float their dreams onto water, and not to remain self -engrossed, immobile or slow to seek another truth which may lie just over the horizon. My tale is of additional interest to the arm chair sailors happy to allow others to experience the discomfort of hard sailing in sometimes treacherous conditions!
Much more than just a sailing story, I have given an insider`s account of my life as a Scottish art dealer, and how mindfulness and keeping an open mind are essential for us all to live in harmony, further expanding my views on anti-consumerism and materialism and the dramatic part technology is presently playing in all our lives. The book ends with a discussion about how our society may be drifting into a second “Dark Age”, and a prediction of the future of our biosphere with mankind at the helm, just, but Gaia in ultimate charge.
.......but thankfully for you sailors it is mainly about my adventures in my wee boat off the Scottish West Coast!
Amazon universal link is viewBook.at/B00DDQ70RY
[/b]
Cully Pettigrew
PAPILLONOFCARDEN
YF Newbie

Hebridean Diary....images uploaded Flickr

Post by PAPILLONOFCARDEN »

Now posted the books 98 images on Flickr at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98207267@N03/
The wartime images may be of interest to Canadian naval historians as they relate to the fate of my uncle, Hugh Pettigrew, whose ship the Canadian Pacific`s Beaverford was torpedoed in Convoy 84 in 1940 by the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer. There is a detailed account of the part the Beaverford played in this battle.
Cully Pettigrew