Epic First Voyage

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Epic First Voyage

Post by bobholiday »

As some of you may know, I recently purchased my first yacht - a 26 foot Westerly Centaur. I had some issues with my keels and the engine, but all are now resolved, and "Genesis" touched the water for the first time in 2 years this week.

I motored down the Dart on tuesday 1st April, and then motored all the way from Dartmouth to Weir Quay (up the Tamar from Plymouth) on wednesday 2nd April. It was my first ever trip in my own boat. My second ever trip in any yacht of any kind and, for me, was a fantastic and somewhat scary experience!

We headed into the wind, with the tide, for all of the approx 30 nautical mile sea leg of the voyage - so with ~3m swell, plus wind over tide conditions, it was thrilling for a total newbie - but Genesis took it totally in her stride.

Very chuffed :D
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Here's some photos of Genesis and my brave assistants...

Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

Well done! One tip, which my friend found out the hard way; make sure your forehatch is fully closed when at sea, it's surprising how much sea water gets below if you hit a wash from a fast ferry! And he got soaked as he was watching from the forehatch! Happy sailing.
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately we did close it before actually heading to sea - would have been pretty bad if we'd forgotten!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Looks very nice, and it sounds like you had an easy first sail in her too :D hope my first trip in Sixpence goes as smoothly, went out on another boat on Sunday, managed about 40nm in total, mostly under sail, but caught some nasty winds (just south of where a gale warning had been issued) then spent the last couple of hours fighting wind over tide trying to get back to the mooring
But that's another story :lol:
Hope you have many a happy day sailing her, she does look nice
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Thank you :) Good luck for your trip!!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Thanks, I have a feeling I may need it :lol:
hibernopithecus
YF Newbie

Post by hibernopithecus »

You've been on a yacht once before this? What did you do to prepare? Am loving your commitment. I'm new to the whole thing and am feeling the sea-gypsy lure of living on a wee yacht...I guess I'd better find out if I have sea legs.

Good to see that in the intervening years it appears to be a good choice for you.

Excellent forum. I've been reading for a few weeks and thought it was about time I made a contribution

Keith :-)