New and still very green.

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

Flying-Dutchman
YF Newbie

New and still very green.

Post by Flying-Dutchman »

I wonder if someone would be able to advise. They say one must make one’s own mistakes to lead a more enriching life, but that does not prevent me from preparing for what I am about to embark upon.

I had a wonderful 10 year career in the military and I am now about to complete a 10 year career in the security industry. I have achieved my goals in both and now need a change. I’ve always had a love a fascination for the sea, however, I’ve never had the opportunity to embark on a career in the yachting industry until now. I am 38 years old, single and have no fixed abode….well, not yet. My experiences at sea are limited; however, if an endurance race that stretched for 800km, on a rib, counts then I guess I have very little. The view times I’ve sailed, I’ve taken to the sea well and I know I will be good at it.

I am planning to complete a fast-track course with two reputable organisations on the Solent, qualifying as a Yachtmaster (Ocean) and then I want to add a marine engineering qualification something in between the AEC course and the NVQ L3 qualification. My meaning is to make myself as employable as possible.

The reason I am doing the whole lot at once is, I now have the time and opportunity to, and also the money. I don’t have the time to qualify over a long period of time and also, I need to get working and gain as much experience as soon as I finish, but without having to worry about having to do additional major qualifications for whatever the next step up is.

Where would the yachting capital of the world be, the place that would offer the most in terms of job prospects? I can work very hard, I am extremely adaptable and I don’t mind starting at the bottom. I’ve done it twice before. I don’t want to work on Super Yachts. I know there is money there….but that is not what I want. I want to become a good sailor and seaman and wish to deliver boats for a couple of years and see where life takes me. Am I completely silly? One thing I do know, I am extremely excited about the journey I am about to embark upon…it is also very personal and a challenge I need to complete successfully.

Any comments welcome. I am new here so, please go easy.
The engineer
YF Newbie

Post by The engineer »

Hi,
Yachting capitals that the superyachts use is a good plan if you are looking for employment as many employ day workers. though like myself you are a bit older than the average day worker. Engineering skills are sought after, but the AEC is not very highly regarded. from a day work point of view that is not an issue.
Antibbes, Palma, Antigua are all good places. Europe is good as you can legally work as opposed to Caribbean for example. I got deported from antigua for working!!

Thats how you could earn the cash to enable you to do deliveries, as few people pay inexperienced crew. I would suggest contacting Reliance Yacht services as a company that uses many crew a year for mainly ocean deliveries. That is how I got experience, by doing unpaid delivery work for a few thousand miles and then started getting paid for it.

One point on Fastrak courses, they are regarded as Zero to hero events. You need to get experience to have credibility.

You will have a ball... enjoy
Cheers,
Robin
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I've not a lot to offer in assistance to you but would like to wish you good luck for your plans. I learned to sail at the same age as you and thoroughly enjoyed the whole learning experience, both practical and theoretical.

Best of luck with your plan and please keep us posted on your progress and experiences!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Flying-Dutchman
YF Newbie

Thank you.

Post by Flying-Dutchman »

Hi Jeff and Robin,

Thank you for your comments and it is greatly appreciated. I've taken onboard your remarks and will keep you posted.

Many thanks

Derek