RYA Competent Crew course.

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

Diz
YF Newbie

RYA Competent Crew course.

Post by Diz »

Hello, last week i achived my RYA Competent Crew certificate.

1) What does this entitle me to do, if anything?

2) What do i do next?

Many thanks Diz
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Diz, welcome to the forum.

It doesn't, to my knowledge, give you any specific entitlement, but it definitely will make skippers far more likely to let you be a crew member on their boat. If you're wanting to do some sailing get your name down on "crew offered" lists, noticeboards, forums etc. We have one, but you're more likely to get a response by posting something on the wall in your local sailing club or marina etc.

What you do next is obviously entirely up to you. Personally I did a 2 day 2 night "introduction to sailing" which covered a bit of the comp crew, then I did Day Skipper Theory as a correspondence course on the net. I then bought my first boat and had a great, incident free, first season on the water. The Day Skipper Theory is hard enough to feel like quite an achievement, but at the same time is quite achievable. It gives you a LOT of invaluable information when it comes to day sailing in coastal waters.

Good luck whatever you decide!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.