Where to start?

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

GarethEvans
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Where to start?

Post by GarethEvans »

Hi guys,
i'm after a little advice really.
I'm looking into getting into Sailing but don't know the first place to start. I've been wanted to get into it all for a while and have recently changed jobs where my manager is a lot more flexible so hopefully in 2010 will spend a bit of cash and go on a trans Atlantic sailing holiday (seen a few offered on a few web sites) then hopefully on returning will buy a small yacht of my own.
I'm hopeing to do my competent crew course over the summer, and was wondering weather it would be worth doing my yachtmasters on returning from the trip or just going for the day skippers?
also i have about £20k to spend on a yacht that i hope will be big enough to go out for weekends and maybe channel crossing over to france for a week or two here and there.

sorry for all the questions, but if you could point me in a general direction it would be appreciated

i forgot to mention i have experience working on a small marine survey vessel but have been relying on a motor not sail for this

thanks again

G
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

It's so hard to answer this without knowing you personally. Some people with no experience whatsoever might find they grasp the concepts involved fairly readily, without much tuition, - while others don't - and require mucho lessons.

Guessing I'm somewhere in the middle.

My experience over the last 2 years may offer you something...

With zero boat experience 2 years ago, I did a powerboat RYA course and realised that a) You get a lot more boat for your money if you buy sail rather than power and b) I actually preferred it when the engine was off.

Then I signed up for a 2 day pre competent crew course and loved it.

Then I bought a Westerly Centaur and before it was put in the water I did Dayskipper theory correspondence course and learned a lot about maintenance by simply getting on and doing it with the jobs on the boat that needed doing. Forums helped a lot at that time (and now!).

After 6 months on a swing mooring last year, I realised I REALLY liked it and so sold the Centaur Nov 2008 to help fund an upgrade.

Am now living on a Westerly Tempest, and cruise about whenever the weather permits (and I'm not working).

I have a LOT to learn - but so far - touch wood - I've been increasing my knowlege bit by bit, pushing the envelope a little more each time, and hence learning, while doing it, and keeping safe.

I think a trans-atlantic crossing would be fantastic, and you'd learn some serious amount of stuff - but perhaps more important initially would be learning how to do close to shore pilotage and navigation. No rocks to avoid in the big blue (or at least, a lot fewer than inshore).

Good luck!! Let us know what you decide to do.

Oh, you might also consider "own boat tuition" as a fast track way to getting your own tub.

Also - £20k... from my limited experience, I'd suggest you spend no more than about £12 to £15 on the actual purchase (to cover boat and survey and launch). Leave as much spare as possible because you WILL need it.

Westerly Centaur fits that price bracket nicely. You'd get a beauty for £13k. Great boat.
steve123
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Yachtmasters

Post by steve123 »

Hi there

You can do your Yachtmasters at a variety of places over the UK but Portsmouth and Plymouth are generally most popular. Check out the UKSA because if your serious about getting into sailing you could do a 3 month course (generally costs about 6-7k) and basically this gives you all your miles, first aid, vhf and much more. Alot of people say it is the zero to hero course but it will give you all the skills required from the ground up if you ask me.

The RYA have a tendency of making out of people by adding all these new courses but if your serious i would aim to go for your yachtmaster straight up. You may need to study/ practice a bit more but it will be well worth it.

Hope this helps