The Jester Challenge

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

The Jester Challenge

Post by DaveA »

Anyone here thought about going for it ?
The next one is a transat, so from the UK to the USA, which I must admit, is a rather daunting thought, but the one this year was to the Azores, which isn't quite as far so I'm thinking about it. Am I alone ? am I nuts ? :lol:
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Would love to - but need substantially more experience first!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Same here, but I was surprised to find that some of the entrants had nowhere near as much experience as I thought they would need. So the big question I suppose is at what stage does someone decide they have enough ?
It could take years to get experienced enough but it's deciding that level that can't be easy
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Well, I think I definitely need more than I've had now for something like that. I'd be quite keen to do a rounding of the UK though.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Oh I like that idea too, but would you do it in one leg or by coast hopping ?
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Hopping!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Personally I would want to go for a continuous leg, but with the added comfort of knowing that there's normally a bolt hole close by if things got a bit rougher than I was comfortable with, but I can see the benefit of hopping too.
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

I hadn't thought of doing it non-stop - hadn't entered my mind. I've zero night sailing experience - would need to be a team effort I guess.

Hopping around as and when the weather permits would be a much more relaxed trip all together - but I suppose much less of a challenge.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

As far as night hours go, I've got some but not many, so I would certainly need to increase that before going for anything like this. But for me it's the challenge side I'm interested in, though it would mean missing out on an opportunity to see so many more places that I wouldn't have a chance of going to again.
hibernopithecus
YF Newbie

Post by hibernopithecus »

well? What was the verdict?