Anybody out there living aboard a yacht...?

For the discussion of liveaboard specific topics.

Moderator: Jeff

Rich Tea
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Anybody out there living aboard a yacht...?

Post by Rich Tea »

I am seriously thinking about living aboard a yacht beginning next season. Have had many thoughts and aprehensions so if anybody knows somebody that is doing this - I would love to quizz them aboat it! (sorry couldn't resist) :oops:
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

I'm on my boat right now. Not "living" on it, but definitely spending more than 49% of my life at the moment on it.

Very much with you in terms of feelings towards increasing that %'age somewhat.

So many little issues come to mind though when thinking of losing the land based abode...

What about the car?

What about my post? Where will that go?

What about the doc, the dentist, the credit record address list.

I'm very lucky in that my job is totally internet based so I can work anywhere I can get online, which I can do on my boat as you can attest... but even with that, it's not an easy decision.

"Voyaging on a small income" solves all of that tho. I've read it and it's inspiring. But something tells me I need more safety net than the authors have, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy it.

On a little reflection though, maybe that's the point - it HAS to be a challenge to be enough to keep you occupied and interested. If it was easy, you'd get bored bloody quick.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

I think that's one of the reasons a lot of boaty types want to liveaboard really, we would love to do it but Sixpence is a little too small, so we're hoping to go for something a bit bigger when we're more used to sailing. Wouldn't mind getting into a business where I could work over the internet, but there doesn't seem to be many opportunities like that, or at least not genuine ones
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
Jeff
Site Admin

Living on a yacht!

Post by Jeff »

I am now living on a yacht! See my blog here:

viewforum.php?f=50

I used to post on here as bobholiday, that's my post above. Have solved those worries I had as follows:

What about the car?

We're in a marina at the moment. The berth comes with a parking space in a secure car park.

What about my post? Where will that go?

The marina has pigeon holes, one for each letter of the alphabet, into which they stick post by surname. They sign for packages 24/7/365 and keep them behind the office desk.

What about the doc, the dentist, the credit record address list.

I could have put down the marina address for all of these, but as we're going to leave the marina and go mobile in 2010, I've put down my parents address - where I visit often. My parents also will forward post to wherever we happen to be at the time.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Update.

I have as of two months ago stopped living on a yacht. We did 5 years without a berth at all, mostly at anchor. I blogged all about it:

* How it began, and life aboard with a baby and a dog: viewforum.php?f=50

* Life aboard with a toddler and a dog: viewforum.php?f=54

We had planned to do a year aboard with a 3 year old, a dog and a baby, at anchor, but happened upon a house we fell in love with.

Suspect we'll be boat owners again in the not too distant future - really missing it.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:
Suspect we'll be boat owners again in the not too distant future - really missing it.
Now you're talking Jeff - get amongst it!! :P
OBlivion
YF Newbie

Re: Anybody out there living aboard a yacht...?

Post by OBlivion »

Hi, new here from Australia and its really a good idea. I normally live in Yacht but I am just saying that the problem will be with the baby and their bedding!
Protection!