Boat/yacht insurance rates?

Non UK Yachts for sale. We will create specific location forums as demand dictates. Place non-UK ads in here first and we'll move them for you as appropriate.

Moderator: Jeff

smith123
YF Newbie

Boat/yacht insurance rates?

Post by smith123 »

Good morning. My husband and I have a desire to live on the sea, or at least out of a marina and probably west coast/California. We would most likely live full-time on small yacht (42-52 ft). Wondering if anyone can give me an idea what cost to expect for boat insurance. Cannot provide more info on the yacht because we have not purchased it yet. Just looking for ballpark estimates to help in my research.

There was not a specific category for boating questions, do hope some experienced boaters find this. Thanks!

=======================
Toronto Limousine|Toronto Limo rental
davidh
YF Newbie

Post by davidh »

No-one has replied as not lucky enough to live off the coast of California I guess! As an idea of current prices (UK at least) if you go to http://www.merciamarine.co.uk at bottom of the homepage is a link to a compare boat insurance link which gives seemingly honest cheapest and average prices for most vessel types. I bought through Newton in the end though(!) as I wanted cheapest option for a narrowboat (not much goes wrong on the canals of bham)... but the Mercia site provides a useful rule of thumb guide for all nevertheless. :lol:
e_pugal
YF Newbie

Post by e_pugal »

Hi Smith

As per the insurance concern, there are a number of options. No insurance company provides coverage absolutely worldwide, and if they did it would be extremely expensive. So first of all you have to decide the geographic region in which you will be driving. In Europe, we can recommend one insurer based in the UK and another in Spain, both of whom will issue an annual green card based on the chassis number, covering almost the whole of Europe.

If you require coverage simply for one country, this is best obtained from a local insurance company in that country. If you call 800 numbers or search on the internet etc you will be wasting your time, as the people who answer are not properly trained and will not have the information to respond to your question. Most likely they will tell you it is not possible, because they don’t know.

you can further understand the insurance at http://www.registertaxfree.com/frequent ... questions/

:D
with regards
Paul
<a href="registertaxfree.com">Register your car/yacht offshore</a>
registertaxfree.com
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

[quote="e_pugal"]Hi Smith

As per the insurance concern, there are a number of options. No insurance company provides coverage absolutely worldwide, and if they did it would be extremely expensive. So first of all you have to decide the geographic region in which you will be driving. In Europe, we can recommend one insurer based in the UK and another in Spain, both of whom will issue an annual green card based on the chassis number, covering almost the whole of Europe.

If you require coverage simply for one country, this is best obtained from a local insurance company in that country. If you call 800 numbers or search on the internet etc you will be wasting your time, as the people who answer are not properly trained and will not have the information to respond to your question. Most likely they will tell you it is not possible, because they don’t know.

you can further understand the insurance at http://www.registertaxfree.com/frequent ... questions/

:D

since the original post was 2009 I guess you may be a bit late

:wink: